Student Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes
Student Advisory Committee
January 26, 2011
Meeting began at 1:15 p.m.
Dr. Hamilton distributed the sign-in
Coach McGowin addressed concerns regarding
Students shared things they would like to see occur in
- o Writing for P.E. should be about P.E. concerns and
should assist students with ARMT writing classes.
- o More physical movement during P.E.
- o Boxing gloves and headgear suggested as a reward for
good behavior on Fridays.
- o More basketball and baseball - baseball is a spring
- o More scooters
Coach addressed bullying and that he would not tolerate
it. Students shared that they observe name calling and kids being
picked on or left out of some activities. Coach encouraged them to
tell him. With such large class sizes it is hard to catch
Announcement: Teacher vs. Student Basketball game is
next Friday for $1.
More suggestions from students were:
More organized free play
- o Team building activities
- o Cup stacking activities
- o Tug of war
Mrs. Kittrell requested that coach remind students
to tuck in shirts in before and after P.E.
Dr. Hamilton asked:
Things we can do as a school to get the students
motivated/pumped up for
- o Students want more hands-on
- o Making math a game
- o More practice
Rewards at the end of testing
- o Free play after testing
- o Party after testing
- o School-wide test prep day with positive
- o Structured play after testing
- o Pre-approved movies after testing
Discussion about class disruptions and
- o Students voiced that they care about classroom
conduct and wanted to see students disciplined. Dr. Hamilton
explained how the discipline plan worked and shared consequences
with students. It's only so much we can do.
Cafeteria seating order - students wanted the
opportunity to sit anywhere.
- o Seating is at the teacher's discretion
Dr. Hamilton closed by saying, "Teachers worked
hard. I encourage students to do the same. We have grown at
Let's stay on task.
Meeting was adjourned at 2:05.